Newlands Corner is a beautiful area to the North of St Martha Parish. Surrey County Council have been exploring ways to ensure the long term sustainable funding of Newlands Corner, along with ways to improve the site.
Plans for this year include :
Refurbished and redecorated toilets - the toilets at Newlands are well below standard and keep breaking down. Some work has been done already and more work is planned during 2017
New benches on the slope so people can sit and enjoy the view without having to sit on the ground
- There are members of the public who had requested memorial benches at Newlands Corner in the past. The cost of these benches will be borne by them to include their chosen inscription and will be installed early this year at selected viewpoints to provide all-ability accessibility.
In addition, Commons Consent has just been given for the installation of 3 parking meters. Surrey County Council hope that car parking charges will help cover the cost of looking after Newlands Corner and other countryside in Surrey.
Parking Charging details - likely to start in May 2017
- A 20 minute period with no charge
- £1 per hour to a maximum of £4 for 4 hours or more
- An annual season ticket for regular visitors costing £40 - that works out at less than 80p per week
- No charge for Blue Badge holders when parking in the marked disabled bays